The Roles are Flipped, You Need Information:

When you were young your parents found ways to protect and provide for you.  As your parents age they increasingly need your care.  You need answers including legal realities.  This article and the audio content describes the type of information you need to receive.  It also provides practical tips to create open communication.

Dynamics of Communicating with the “Silent Generation”

People born before 1946 are known as the “Silent Generation”.  Their world was shaped by the Great Depression, WWII, The Cold War and the Civil Rights Movement.  They are often described as less open with personal issues including health and finances.  They value simple concepts and rarely view themselves of wealthy regardless of their net worth.  “Waste not want not” means much to them.  Listen Here


Families with a member with a disability, receiving SSI income or has special needs should pay particular attention to their estate plan.  This short presentation will discuss ways to protect the inheritance as well as income and benefits.

Who should attend?

  • Parents

  • Grandparents

  • Spouses

  • Children

  • Advisors

 Who Can Benefit from the Planning?

  • Early onset

    • such as Downs Syndrome, Autism, Muscular Dystrophy, and other physical, psychological or emotional disorders.

  • Later or adulthood disabilities

    • such as physical injuries, substance abuse, strokes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s or nursing home residents.


Those suffering with physical or mental disabilities can benefit from a Special Needs Trust.  In this workshop you will learn why they are important.  You will also see how an inheritance may cause somebody to be become ineligible for vital government benefits.

For example, a person who inherits directly may lose SSI income, Medicaid benefits, food stamps or housing subsidies.  But with a Special or Supplemental Needs Trusts those benefits can be preserved.

Persons with mental or physical disabilities may fall victim to creditors or predators.  Learn how a Trust can protect them.

The biggest estate planning mistake is not having the essential planning building blocks in place. Once in place, these can be built upon. Learn what everybody’s estate plan should have right now.

These are things to protect you while your alive, then your heirs after you are gone.

Wills-What they are and how they work

Power of Attorney-A tool if you become disabled.

Medical Power of Attorney-Empower a trusted person to make medical decisions.

Advanced Healthcare Directives-Instructions to your family & medical providers about your end of life care.

Discover how a Will and Trust are alike and how they differ.

This Estate Planning Class will cover basics of how each of the most common and needed elements of an estate plan work together.  We’ll cover how a Will and a Trust Work.   There will also be a discussion about Powers of Attorney and Advanced Directives.  The presentation lasts about one hour.  With plenty of time for questions and answers. You will also learn what happens if you fail to plan.  No everybody needs a Trust but everyone needs to plan.

Did you know…

  • A Will does not avoid probate.
  • Your power of attorney may be defective.
  • Certain healthcare directives could keep you alive indefinitely.
  • The State has made decisions about your life and property that apply if you don’t plan.

Most people know that a Trust avoids probate, but you may be surprised to learn that a Trust…

  • Does not require separate tax return or tax id number.
  • Works without court or judicial interference.
  • Can protect your assets from your children’s predators and creditors.
  • Is not right for everybody.

About the Venue:  The Edmond Parks Department operates out of the MAC Center which is attached to the Senior Center and located just south of the Mitch Park YMCA.  Most classes meet in the a cozy conference room.  The setting is conducive to questions and answers.



Want more information?

%d bloggers like this: